Friday, January 28, 2011

Chick Beer II


Since, I spent all my time these last two days running around to attend childrens' activities I thought I'd continue my discussion of girl friendly beers.  No self-respecting man I know would ever drink a pink beer from a purple and pink bottle covered with fruit. Of course, I live in Missouri where men hold hunting and BBQ in highest esteem.  So today we focus on a bisexual beer . . . hmm . . . somehow that didn't quite come out right. I have heard reports of men drinking and liking this beer.  Okay, two men, and neither of them are hunters but they fish and that's like hunting while working on your tan right?


Blue moon, you saw me standin' alone
Without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own
Blue moon, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me sayin' a prayer for
Some beer I really could care for . . .

Blue Moon Belgian White is a Belgian-style wheat ale. I have no idea what that means other than there is wheat in the malt used to brew the ale!  You may remember my earlier remark that women tend to like wheat beers better than the barley dominant beers mass produced here in the old USA.

This beer may be a little different for many in that it's "unfiltered." Being unfiltered leaves it with a slight cloudiness. It makes it mysterious. Who doesn't want a little mystery? 

This is another beer that is flavored with all sorts of goodness! Blue Moon has orange and coriander in it.  Coriander seed grows into that beautiful all purpose herb cilantro.  I have heard several chef's describe coriander as having bright citrusy notes. It's great in Mexican and Indian foods. Consequently, this beer is lovely with either of those cuisines. 

This is another beer that has very little bitterness. You won't see any mention of "hops" on the label.  If there are some in there they are muted and gentle. This beer DOES taste like beer. But, it's a kinder, gentler, beer. A more compassionate beer if you will. It is smooth. It is so smooth that given good music and good bar food three girlfriends could down four pitchers of it.  If they weren't paying attention that is . . . This is something to watch because it's alcohol level is actually a little higher than average American beers.

Traditionally, a glass of Blue Moon is served garnished with a slice of orange. I understand it's brewed from oats and wheat. Hmm, oats, wheat, oranges . . . it sounds like breakfast! No wonder they toast "to your health!" Try some the next time you're out.

* Queenbeemo is pretty sure that beer is not a recommended breakfast food.

2 comments:

  1. After your last disclaimer, I feel obligated to inform the world that you introduced me to the term "Hillbilly Mimosa".

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YEAH! Okay, so maybe it's a recommended brunch food . . .

    ReplyDelete