Monday, March 28, 2011

Out Like a Lion


Ah, March in Missouri!


As soon as all my herbs start to come up, we get a small snow storm. With more predicted tomorrow!



Oh the humanity!

Uhm, oh the herbality?

I had to check on them.



Oh rosemary! I don't think you're coming back. You were this same color all winter. Rosemary is the only one of my herbs that's considered a perennial. Yet it never survives the winter. I guess it's a perennial in mediterranean climes only. . . . It makes such beautiful flavors in potatoes and chicken and beef. Rosemary is piney and . . . and . . . muscular. Strong and vibrant flavor!



Flat leaf parsley! I can't wait to not have to pay for you anymore! So good at adding a hit of gentle bitter to a salad. It's herbaceousness for the herb challenged. You know the people who say they don't like basil, thyme, etc. . . freaks. I shouldn't judge . . .

. . . misfits . . .



Peppermint! Okay, I'm not sure but I suspect the peppermint could survive nuclear armegeddon. Where would I be without you though? We use you in ice tea and mojitos! I will admit I do add it to Greek salad and some yogurt dips. It's so fresh and peppery! Goodness, I bet that's why they call it PEPPERmint! I eventually figure things out you see.



Tarragon? Goodness what has gotten into you? I've spent years trying to find a good tasty tarragon to grow. It always is lackluster and barely survives. Two years ago I picked you up at the local hardware store. You were redolent of anise and survived! When you came back last year I was shocked. I went on vacation and by the time I got back you had literally mobbed your assertive next door neighbor sage. This year? Well this year? Just look at you!

There may be a doping scandal going on in my herb garden right now . . .


Sage, honey! You can do it. Come back! I won't let tarragon get to you anymore! Your beautiful silvery leaves are essential when I'm grilling! I like to throw a few of sage's branches on the charcoal when I'm cooking a chicken. They mingle well.



Oh thyme! What would I do without you. You're going to make it stronger and bigger than ever!



Savory! I bought you because you were mislabeled! You were the worst flat leaf parsley I had ever tasted. Then as you grew taller and taller I realized. You MUST be savory! You smell like celery. You taste like celery concentrated 50X. I really haven't found anything wonderful to do with you yet but you're sort of pretty so I keep you around . . .



Oregano . . . you are a sad disappointment. You're not a very tasty variety! You grow faster than the peppermint! You're coming out and I'm putting in a field of cilantro to replace you.



Basil? Are you in there? I suspect not. I even let you go to "seed." Something is coming up but I'm thinking its weeds . . .

Looks like I'm going to be buying some rosemary, basil, and cilantro this year. We'll do a hot pepper plant too of course! I'm going to try to get my husband to let me have some tomatoes . . . maybe in a pot? Any other herbs you'd recommend? Has anyone seen a curry plant around locally? Maybe I'll grow a fennel plant! I love fresh fennel.

What are you putting in the garden this year?

I need a zucchini supplier . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment