Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Boss Tom's Golden Bock


So Boulevard is out with it's late spring seasonal offering and I just had to snatch up a six pack. I was severely unhappy with the Irish Ale seasonal but had LOVED the Nutcracker Ale at Christmas time so I was excited yet distrustful at the same time! Maybe I'm becoming beer-polar?

The bottle label is a little weird.



An angry goat and rabbit? Further research indicated that Bock is another term for goat so they like to use goats to decorate the beer labels.

I've never thought of goats as decorative animals. Chickens? Yes! Geese? Most certainly! Kittens? Obviously! Penguins? Absolutely! Horses? Majestic! Dogs? Well duh! I don't think they make plates with goats on them . . . nor goat pillows . . . or little kitchen towels. There's a whole other world of animal marketing that has not been explored!



As for the rabbit further research explained that. From the Boulevard Box:  From 1925 until 1939 Kansas City was under the control of powerful political boss Thomas J. Pendergast whose "Goat" faction feuded with rival "Rabbits" for partisan dominance. The atmosphere of graft and lawlessness fostered a boom in jazz clubs and speakeasies, earning our town the title "Paris of the Plains." Isn't it nice they explain things on the labeling? It's so helpful!


I know it's a great history lesson and all but . . .

WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE?!!

It tastes pretty good.

It has a beautiful golden color that reminds me of sunshine and happiness. The aroma is unusual. My first impression was of sweetness. It has a sweetness similar to the Boulevard unfiltered Wheat. There was also a bitterness that was not unpleasant for me. Then I swirled some across the roof of my mouth and I tasted it. It is floral. Somewhere between a carnation and a hyacinth.

Do you think Hy-Vee would mind if I went into the floral department and sniffed their flowers a little? I'd just need a handkerchief dipped in beer and I could compare aromas . . .

It is not unlike the beautiful Stella Artois which is definitely hyacinth like. The Boss Tom's has a richness that Stella doesn't have though. The aromas seem a little more delicate too. The flavor doesn't linger in the mouth as long as Stella.

It's a dollar more expensive than the standard Boulevard offerings at my local grocery store. That puts it a dollar cheaper than a Stella so I'm thinking I'll be enjoying this beer all spring long!

No comments:

Post a Comment