Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The good Huswifes Handmaide for the Kitchin. London 1594.

So, I've been a little bored with cooking lately . . .

Been feeling more . . .

DOUBLE DECKER® Taco Supreme®

Than . . .


I've got the energy for . . .




Not so much for . . .


I've been reading some period novels lately and I always find it interesting to hear about meals. So I've been playing around with some downloadable ebooks and thought I'd check out some old cookbooks. They give me perspective!

Here was a recipe for food for a sick person from 1594

To boyle Mutton for a sicke bodie.

PUt your Mutton into a pipkin, seeth it,
and scum it cleane, and put thereto a crust
of bread, Fennell roots, Parsly roots, corrans,
great Raisons (the stones taken out) and
hearbs, according [<-iag] as the patient is[.] If they be
cold, hot hearbs may be borne: if they be hot,
cold hearbs be best, as Endiue, Sinamon,
Uiolet leaues, and some Sorrell: let them boyle
together. Then put in Prunes, and a verie litle
salt. This is broth for a sicke bodie.

Here's my best translation

Put your mutton in a dutch oven.
Bring it to a simmer and skim the scum off the top.
Add a slice of bread (I assume for thickening), fennel,
the root of parsley, currents?, and some large raisins
you've taken the pits out of. Add herbs based on what
the patient is sick with. If the sick person is cold and
clammy add seasonings that will warm them to the pot.
If the person is suffering from a fever add seasonings
that will cool them. Some good examples are endive,
cinnamon, violet leaves and sorrell. Then boil. Add prunes
and a little salt. This is broth for a sick person.

No wonder life expectancy was so short!

No comments:

Post a Comment