Friday, May 20, 2011

WTF???


It's a beer people! What were you thinking?

If you've never spent hours listening over a police scanner or been associated with the military you might not know that there is a series of very specific words used to clarify alphabet letters used as designations/codes.

Here's a sample alphabet--the idea is that every word is unique and will be easily distinguishable during radio transmissions.


A-ALPHA
B-BRAVO
C-CHARLIE
D-DELTA
E-ECHO
F-FOX-TROT
G-GOLF
H-HOTEL
I-INDIA
J-JULIET
K-KILO
L-LIMA
M-MIKE
N-NOVEMBER
O-OSCAR
P-PAPA
Q-QUEBEC
R-ROMEO
S-SIERRA
T-TANGO
U-UNIFORM
V-VICTOR
W-WHISKY
X-X-RAY
Y-YANKEE
Z-ZULU


 The military LOVES acronyms. They live on them! When my Dear One was transitioning from the Reserves to Active duty he showed up at the Post for his assignment.

Sgt.: You're assigned to Alpha Company

Dear One: Oh, so Company A?

Sgt: NO! ALPHA COMPANY!

Dear One:  . . . okay . . . Alpha . . . Company . . .

I still remember asking one neighbor what her husband did.

Neighbor: He's the NBCNCOIC.

Me: Huh?

Neighbor: NBCNCOIC

Me: What is that?

Neighbor: Oh sorry! Natural Biological Chemical NCOIC!

Me: . . . Non Commissioned Office-IC?

Neighbor: Oh goodness, I don't even hear it anymore! He's the Natural Biological Chemical warfare Non Commissioned Office who's In Charge . . . I've been here too long!



Anyway! What with my son now in the hands of the USAF I just had to buy this cute little beer with its name that reminds me of the military. I think they had to change the W to Wilco because you can't label beer as Whiskey! There's rules in beer selling, just like there's rules in the military!



It claimed to be a malty, robust, jobless recovery ale. It made me giggle! It's from California . . . who knew they made beer in California?


I was a little worried . . . what if it was bitter? It was obvious it was named by one of those bitter clingers!
I don't really like bitter beer . . .



It was a gorgeous deep brown with very few bubbles. It smelled lovely. There was a beautiful coffee and chocolate aroma coming from it.

May have to put a little behind my ears . . . don't you think men would prefer beer scented perfumes?

I guess it might be a problem driving. Can you imagine how long the traffic stop for a speeding ticket would take if you smelt of beer?

Oh and I guess it wouldn't be appropriate for the parent teacher conferences either . . .



The taste was WONDERFUL! The coffee and chocolate smells translated into the actual flavor. It reminded me of Boulevard's Chocolate Ale but with a sweetness that made it very palatable. It had that lovely yeasty undertone that beer and bread both should have. The finish was one of after dinner coffee served with a lovely dark chocolate truffle.

It's got a 7.8% alcohol rating so its got some kick!


If you're a beer lover and looking for something new to celebrate American Craft Beer week I highly recommend you give it a try.

I think I'm going to go buy another bottle to toast my son with when he graduates!

No comments:

Post a Comment