Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Not My Mother's Potato Salad


I've never been a huge fan of potato salad. I only really liked my mothers. As I grew up I came to realize why I found most potato salads . . . lackluster.

My mother made the BEST potato salad in the world.

Seriously, I think it made people weep.

People who hated potato salad would try my mother's and say "Oh, now that IS good!"

There is no record of potato salad lasting beyond day 2 in the family. Leftovers were hoarded into tiny cool whip bowls and distributed to guests to be brought home for late night snacks. Or for car snacks . . . depending on your will power.

I, unfortunately cannot make potato salad like hers. It's rather tragic, I come from a long line of potato salad makers yet the gene was not passed on. Its sort of like being a Jackson and not singing. Maybe it's skipped a generation? Maybe I should put some potato salad ingredients in my Darling Daughter's proximity and see what she does?

I can dream can't I?

So now I rely on this potato salad to make it through the hot days of summer. It's not the same as Mom's but I think she'd approve.

Maybe it's like YOUR mother's potato salad?



We're going to start off here sort of precise! Get yourself a saucepan that'll hold 4 qts. and throw a couple of tablespoons of salt in it!

Yes, I realize that's a whole hunk of salt! It's going to be all the salt we add to this potato salad though. Just wait . . .



Add six cups of water! We're talking about some nice salty cooking water here. Most of it is going to be thrown away though so we'll be okay. Potatoes really appreciate some salt.



You want to slice the potatoes pretty evenly, so they all finish at the same time. I'm using a nice red potato here because you don't have to peel it. I'm lazy. You could buy those pretty little new potatoes but they're a little exorbitant right now. So I go with the smallest potatoes from a normal sack of red potatoes. Besides they're colorful and provide fiber! Fiber is important! Throw them in your cold salt water. They'll just hang out there until cooking time.



Now we MUST wash our cutting board!!! Evidently, most food poisoning we get from potato salad is caused by bacteria inherent in the dirt potatoes are grown in! Weird huh? Mayonnaise has gotten a bad rap!

Lets go ahead and get started on the dressing because it's gotta be done before those potatoes are finished cooking. Sliced potatoes cook pretty quickly.



You're going to need a tasty and pale vinegar! The vinegar is a major flavor in the dressing and I really do recommend some white wine vinegar. I have used cider vinegar before and enjoyed it but it's not every bodies cup of tea. I have no doubt that balsamic vinegar would be tasty in this but that dark brown color would be a little unappetizing for me.


In it goes!



Now for a little mustard! I like spicy brown but I've used everything from Dijon to yellow in this.



A little extra virgin olive oil . . .



A little bit o' garlic . . .

yes, I said garlic! Garlic and potatoes go wonderfully! This is just the tiniest, hint, tad of garlic. It'll give a fullness to the flavor of the vinaigrette.



Some fresh ground pepper . . .



Now you need a little bit of onion so I'm going to use these green onions because their color will pretty next to the potato skins. I want them to be tinier bits so I slice my onions into strips . . .




Then I make tiny slices. Now if your knife is anything less than razor sharp I recommend you not have any children within sound . . . because you'll get VERY frustrated trying to mince these slippery little suckers.


Chop them up until you've got nice little bits. I had to go back over them a few times due to my knife sharpness issues. You could always use scissors!



Stir that stuff together and set it to the side. It's going to get to know each other for awhile. Now, I'm always tempted to taste it at this point . . .

. . . I don't recommend it . . .

. . . it's vinegary . . . and oily . . . and mustardy . . . and just harsh in general.

I always start to have doubts at this point! Don't give into temptation! Don't lose heart! It's all going to be all right!



Now I put the potatoes on high heat! See it's not good to multitask when you're a basket case. Normal people could put the potatoes on and mix the vinaigrette together--no problem. But if you need to photograph the process, just say no to multitasking. Unless of course you like mashed potato salad . . .




If you cut your potatoes into 1/4 inch slices they'll only take about 5 minutes once they come to a boil.


About 4-5 minutes into the boil I scoop out about 1/4 cup of water using a LONG HANDLED measuring cup.



This hot salty water is going in the vinaigrette to add some salt and body and flavor to it. It'll tone down the garlic and onion a bit too.

Yes, I moved my vinaigrette to a handled measuring cup. It's easier to pour from and I've got some vinaigrette pouring pictures coming up! Besides I've just been itchin' to take a picture of something in that white bowl it was in because I think Penny De Los Santos would totally approve of that bowl! Not so much the plastic measuring cup . . .



Once the taters are tender, get 'em out of the water. You may use whatever method you wish! I give you permission. It'll be okay to throw them in a colander! I use a colander when I'm making double or triple batches of this. I won't think less of you . . . really . . . well . . . maybe . . . no, no I won't think less of you!



Now for the neurotic part of the recipe. Lay them all out in a single layer in a pan or two (doubled recipe) or three (tripled recipe) . . .



Pour the vinaigrette over your potatoes and make sure they all get a nice coating!



Toss 'em around a little and let them rest in their dressing for 10 minutes!

Okay, here's the deal with the whole neurotic laying them in a pan thing. It's a control issue. How strong are your feelings about overcooked potatoes in potato salad? If your potatoes are all up on each other while they're hot you're going to end up with little bitty potatoes all over the place . . .

. . .  because they continue to cook and they break!

What were YOU thinking?

So, if you get your potatoes out of the pan and they seem a little firm still . . . you might want to just throw them back in the pot you cooked them in and pour the dressing on. They'll get softer. Even if your potatoes break up a little it's okay. Breathe! Deep breath in, let it out . . .



Now you could serve the potatoes just how they are now! But, let's kick it up a notch! I've got a whole herb garden that is overbounding in plentifulness.



So, let's get ourselves a nice branch of tarragon! Tarragon has a flavor like fennel or anise. If you like Italian sausages you probably will find tarragon to be a tasty treat.


Strip the leaves off! I just pull my hand down the stem towards the root end.



Now mince it up tiny! Nobody wants a big chunk of tarragon in their potato salad.



Now for some flat leaf parsley! You need to pick the leaves off of this almost individually. The stems are just not palatable . . .



I usually leave these in larger chunks. I like a bite of parsley in my food! My parsley is an exceptionally deep green this year.



I like to mix my herbs together because the tarragon is very strong! I want to make sure it gets distributed well.



Now, sprinkle!



Everybody LOVES sprinkles!

Well, my children are actually sort of suspicious of green leafy sprinkles but the grownups love green leafy sprinkles!



Now give it a toss and throw it in a serving dish! Isn't it . . . colorful?



Better give it a taste . . .



OH SWEET MYSTERY OF LIFE AT LAST I'VE FOUND YOOOOOUUUUU!



The pure satisfaction of perfectly cooked potatoes! The intoxicating aroma of herbs, garlic, and onion! The zing of mustard and vinegar! The smooth richness of olive oil!

This is a beautiful dish to serve with something light like chicken or fish. But, it can stand on its own against any burger or hot dog too. I like to put it on a bed of greens for lunch! If there's any left that is . . .

Tarragon Potato Salad

6 cups water
2 Tbsp table salt
2 lbs potatoes, washed and sliced to 1/4 inch thickness (red skinned are ideal)

for the vinaigrette
4 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp mustard (spicy brown is my favorite)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 green onions
1/4 cup reserved potato cooking water

herb topping
2 tsp minced tarragon
scant 1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

Place potatoes in salted water. Bring to boil. Cook around five minutes or until fork tender. Reserve 1/4 cup of cooking water for the vinaigrette. While potatoes come to a boil mix together vinaigrette, adding 1/4 cup of cooking water after potatoes have boiled at least 3 minutes. When potatoes are tender, drain them and dress with vinaigrette. Let rest at least 10 minutes. When ready to serve, add herbs and toss. This can be served warm or chilled!

serves 6

1 comment:

  1. If you're looking for some knives that ARE razor sharp... LET ME KNOW

    ReplyDelete