Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hot Pepper Fudge


Ack! What is it?

It's fudge, really it is!

I just couldn't wait until it was nice and hard to slice off a nice piece for a picture.

The vultures were circling.

Is that fudge?

Is it done yet?

It looks done to me!

You've got to go to the store?

Okay, yeah, we'll watch, it . . . we'll watch it all right.

I was in a desperate situation! I had to get a picture NOW!

So, this . . .


 . . . is as good as it gets!

Besides, its chocolate, it doesn't have to look good!



Look at what I got at the store! Beautiful, red, jalapeno peppers.


I took out the seeds and ribs and chopped them up. You can leave the seeds and ribs in if you want to torture the chocolate lover in your life. Or if you wish to pleased the heat lover in your life. But seriously, it's hot enough just like it is!



Ah look at the itty bitty pan! I put the peppers in with some plain old white table sugar. About equal parts of each!


Now enough water to get everything mixed together.


Stir it together and turn on the heat!



It's all bubbly! The water is there to get everything moving and to transfer heat effectively to the sugar and peppers. It's going to boil off rather quickly. Give it the occasional stir!



Optional step. Taste it . . . and scream . . . and put an ice cube on your tongue . . . 'cause it's boiling hot and full of capsicin. Actually, I did let it cool before I tasted it and I still screamed and put an ice cube on my tongue because it was so, so, so, spicy!



It's done as soon as the juices get syrupy. I do have to say that jalapenos have more gel power than anything else I've ever cooked. I may have to make some spicy jams this summer! Now set this aside to cool and gather your super secret, super simple, fudge making ingredients.


Sweetened condensed milk. The more I use this the more I love it!



Your favorite chocolate chips. Or whatever was on sale.

Now do you have your double boiler ready? Your candy thermometer? Gloves? Aprons?

Put them away!



Put your chips into a microwave safe dish.



Pour the sweetened condensed milk on.



Now I was making this for Cinco de Mayo so I threw a little cinnamon in. Why do I connect cinnamon and chocolate and Mexico? Well because Mexican Hot Chocolate always has cinnamon in it! Besides it tastes good and meshes well with the jalapenos!



Throw in a touch of vanilla! Vanilla is from the Americas after all! Along with the chocolate and the hot peppers. Besides my palate demands vanilla with my chocolate!



Now for some of those sweet spicy jalapenos!



Now mix it up a little!



Now throw it all in the Queen of the Kitchen, your microwave.



Mix it up until the chocolate is all melted!


Then pour it in an 8X8 pan. I lined a glass dish with plastic wrap to make it easier to remove later. Now realize that this isn't terribly hot stuff. Chocolate melts at body temperature after all! So I'm not worried about pouring it on the plastic wrap. Now in 30 years if the family is all dying of cancer, talk to me again.


Now for a little salty bite . . .



They might of been prettier on the inside but you know I like sprinkles! Plus, I wanted the child who hates nuts to be able to pick them off. AND I also like to make the addition of nuts to any dish obvious for any people with allergies.



Do you see the little jewel like nuggets of jalapeno? This is a dense, chewy, creamy, chocolaty fudge. The jalapeno and cinnamon add a new spicy aroma and kick to it. The nuts are the crunchy, salty counterpoint.

It'll get your chocolate groove on!

Hot Pepper Fudge

2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
3 Tbsp of sugar
2 Tbsp of water
12 oz of semi-sweet chocolate chips
14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)

1/4 cup of salted, roasted, peanuts for garnish

Place jalapenos in a small pan with sugar and water. Boil until syrupy 3-5 minutes. Allow to cool.

Mix jalapenos (as much as you like) with remaining ingredients in microwave safe container. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir vigorously. If chips aren't melted yet put them back in microwave for 15-30 seconds and stir again. Repeat until you have a pretty smooth mixture. Note: Do not overheat the chocolate, it can become lumpy!

Pour into 8X8 pan and sprinkle with nuts. Allow to cool. The refrigerator would be fine if it's a hot day.

No comments:

Post a Comment