Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cake Challenge


I'm still recovering from my 12 year old's birthday party this weekend.

Do you think having 3 extra males in the household contributed to our toilet issues?

Nah . . .

Couldn't be . . .

Like all 12 year old boys my son LOVES to watch all the cake decorating contests on Food Network. So I assumed his friends did too.  I was right.

Along with nonstop video gaming, Bey Blading, and eating I had them make birthday cakes.

Well I didn't actually have them bake them! I prebaked just like the pastry chefs on TV. I used my old friend Duncan's recipes.  So they came in and got to choose their cakes, frosting, and decorations. It's weird how much joy can be caused by five $1 cake mixes and a selection of colored frosting!


They frosted . . .


. . . with the utmost care.



They sprinkled with  . . . abandon . . .



Others, crushed and sprinkled with preciseness!


They problem solved.  There used to be a giant hole in the middle of this cake!



Others chose non-traditional decorations . . . he insisted it was delicious. The judges approached this cake with trepidation.



Spiral designs and standing stones . . . hmm? Celtic influence?



After tasting . . . (Did I mention the bravery of our judges?)


Our winner.

Judges unanimously chose the yellow cake with crushed peanut butter M&M's and M&M minis on it!  Good job Theo!!!

Then the judges had their hand at decorating . . .



Not bad for a seven year old . . .

and of course my daughter . . .



well . . .

I just don't know how my sons live with her . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment