Monday, February 14, 2011

Purple Haze


I bought this at the liquor store the other day.  I've been interested in the bright purple color and I read that it contained raspberries and wheat. Sounds chicky to me!

I wondered about that word "Haze" though. It was all blurry. But things that are hazy are blurry aren't they?

"Purple Haze" sounded vaguely familiar . . . have I mentioned that I'm a musically challenged person living in a family of naturally musical people?

My 21 year old, guitar playing, son was unloading my groceries and almost laid an egg when he saw this!

Then I remarked "It's a song isn't it?"

His ridicule was tempered only by his respect for me as the maker of his dinner.

"YES, it's a SONG, mother! By the MASTER, you know Jimi! Jimi Hendrix!? You do know who Jimi Hendrix is, right?"

I'm like "OH, YES! He was REPUBLICAN!, a quite vocal one at that!" He just shook his head sadly.

If anyone else needs their memory jarred here you go!



Beer and music are one of my favorite combinations so I was more than a little excited to taste this brew by Abita Beer Co.


Purple Haze has a lovely light taste to it! It has a lovely raspberry aroma. Like most wheat beers this one is very smooth. It's not bitter at all and the sweetness level is actually quite low.  

It's crisp. What does crisp mean? I'm certainly not saying that its crunchy!  To me crisp means you take a sip and your mouth gets a quick hit of sourness that fades quickly. If you're eating a heavy flavorful food like a rich cheese or some barbecue ribs a "crisp" beverage will clear the taste out of your mouth.  The "sourness" of Purple Haze comes from the raspberry puree added to it after the filtering process. It's a fresh raspberry type of sour so it's pleasant. 

This is a beer that leaves no lingering tastes in your mouth.  No secondary aromas either.

It is raspberry but it does manage to still taste like beer. So I liked it just fine. If you like a Bud Light or Coors Light you'll probably enjoy this one too. Not exactly something to write home about though. 



So, it's not purple and the flavor isn't hazy. In my opinion this beer is more Flash Dance than Purple Haze!

No comments:

Post a Comment