Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fresh Green Curry Paste


Green curry paste.

I have a brand new passion for green curry paste. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I've discovered I can make it? I suspect its because it's green and my kids will eat it. I have been really using it in a lot of different ways lately. If you like Mexican food you'll like this because . . . the ingredients are essentially the same. Except for ginger. I've not found a lot of fresh ginger in Mexican food.

Here's how I make it!


I use a food processor because if your husband buys you expensive machines for Christmas you should use them as much as possible. It's also sort of fun watching stuff fly around the bowl. It's not fun to clean though. Many Indian mamas and grandmothers have been making green curry paste without electricity for generations. So I am comfortable saying you don't have to have one. You could use a knife or a blender or a mortar and pestle.



You'll need garlic! Lots and lots of fresh garlic! It's good for you . . .



and fresh ginger! It's FULL of vitamin C.



and this beautiful jalapeno!



Oh cilantro! So beautiful!



and green onion! Green curry paste gets its color naturally from fresh ingredients. Now if you're working with just a knife it's time to get chopping! Mince up all the vegetables as small as you can. Or you can do it my way!



Turn the machine on and start to dump.



In goes the garlic! It goes first because it really needs the nice empty dry bowl to go into. Otherwise it might just fly around in there not getting chopped.



Next comes our friend ginger



The jalapeno goes in next! I took the seeds out of this one because it was spicy when I tried a little bit of it. It's really good with the seeds and membranes though too.



Now for the green onion! I chopped it up a little to make it easier on the machine.



Now for the juice of one lime!



In it goes! This really helps everything puree.



Scrape down the sides.



Half a teaspoon of salt . . .



Half a teaspoon of ground cumin.



Just a hint of cloves. These are really strong so just a smidge will do.



Now the salt and lime juice start to work on the veggies and break them down.


You'll actually end up with a puree! If you are mincing this by hand the salt and vinegar will work on the vegetables too. This stuff is so versatile. You can use it as a dipping sauce. You can put it and coconut milk in a crock pot with meat and have dinner. Imagine it in chicken soup! Add it to hamburgers! I made a sort of Indian meatball sub/gyro sandwich with it the other day and almost swooned!

Oh fresh green curry paste, how I love thee!
Let me count the ways!

A brilliant green to all who witness,
You are cilantrolicious,
Full of cuminy richness,
Bright bursts of lime juice so so citrus,
Then the throb of jalapeno hits us.
You really wouldn't want to miss this!

Fresh Green Curry Paste

5 cloves garlic
5-6 slices of fresh ginger
1/2 cup cilantro, leaves and tender stems loosely packed
3-4 green onions, rough chopped
1 whole jalapeno
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
pinch of cloves
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice

Mince all vegetables finely or puree in food processor or blender.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Deb,

    You are my inspiration for hunger! Every time I read your blog I am instantly starving. Please do not quit blogging. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad you enjoy it! I really enjoy talking about food.

    ReplyDelete