Friday, April 1, 2011

Manager's Special!


I have this problem you see . . . whenever I see this little tag I freak out and start scurrying around the grocery meat case examining everything that has it on it.

Sometimes the manager's special isn't all that special. Sometimes it's old shrimp. Yuck!

But sometimes . . .


It's my FAVORITE steak in the whole wide world! Then I buy them! I buy them all!

Last summer I had 30 steaks in the freezer. But they were just tiny 8 oz. ribeyes and strip steaks. Just baby steaks! I only paid $2 a piece for them. They went to the church men's canoe trip.

I have a steak habit. I buy steak whenever I see it at a good price. My friend Donna has counseled me on this before. I practically had myself under control but I failed today . . . I found four T-bone steaks! They were 20 oz steaks for $6 a piece! What could I do? I couldn't LEAVE them there! What if somebody who didn't appreciate them got them?



It's so pretty! It's actually a combination of two steaks. That's the tenderloin over there on the right side. You know, the fillet Mignon? It's tender and juicy. On the left is the strip steak I think. It's not as tender but it has beautiful marbling and just gorgeous beefy flavor!



These steaks go on sale because they start to get a little brown color in the refrigeration case. That's called dry aging baby! You pay EXTRA for that at the steakhouses. So my store throws this super salty, peppery, paprika laden, meat tenderizer on the steaks to cover up this misunderstood color. It's gross so I wash it off and rewrap them.



Look at all the lovely marbling! It's going to be so delicious in a couple of months when I throw them on the grill!

We don't even eat steak that much! We keep on having to throw steak parties to get rid of them. Do you think there's a 12 step program for steak buyers?

2 comments:

  1. Oh my dearest Debra. You just can't seem to help yourself. Some people shoe shop. You grocery shop. They were just sitting there ready to be snatched up weren't they? *shaking my head* I'll pray for you. I blame it all on the week that you've had. That and the fact that you have a new grill. :)

    P.S. I'm available for test tasting purposes. Just say the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, you can have Lisa AND Tami's steaks!

    Donna you may be right, I've had a rough week and I'm reverting to bad habits! I haven't even had an opportunity to put my grill together yet. I just go our to the garage and hug it in it's box . . .

    ReplyDelete