Monday, April 11, 2011

Vinegar


Do you like vinegar? I really don't think of myself as being very fond of acidic foods and yet . . . after some digging around the cabinets I realized I had seven different vinegars!

What has become of me?

When did this happen?

Does anybody really need seven different vinegars?

Why is it that somebody brought a jar of vinegar to the crucifixion? If I was planning on bringing a "just in case" drink along I don't think I'd pick vinegar . . .

Questions for the ages I guess.

Let me take you on a vinegar tour! It's sort of like a wine tour but not as fun . . .


Let's start with the basics. If you had a farmhouse style grandma this was probably a vinegar she had on hand. It is astringent and perfectly clear. Great for pickles. It lets the pickles original color come through and takes on flavors easily. Good for cleaning. A friend informed me recently that those with celiac disease can't eat it! I guess the origins are unclear on the packaging and you wouldn't want any wheat or gluten in there!  The things you learn!


Apple cider vinegar is my personal favorite. Very astringent with a background gentle sweetness. There's a bit of apple flavor in there when it's plain and on its own. Has a beautiful golden color. It's used in a lot of sweet pickles and preserves. My mother used to make a killer vinaigrette with it. All of my family insisted on salad with vinaigrette for all special occasions! We'd dip our meat in the bottom of the salad bowl even. I'll have to make it for you sometime . . . if I figure out how she made it . . .


Red wine vinegar! Bright, acidic, and slightly sweet. Not quite as acidic as the white vinegar or cider. Mine is a beautiful pink rose color. I love pink food! There is a small hint of wineyness to it. I use this in a lot of meat marinades. Wine and beef just go together after all!



Balsamic vinegar. This is a really popular style of vinegar right now. It is dark brown and some of the more expensive ones can be downright syrupy in texture. It's acidity is tempered by sweetness. I notice that it reacts to heat like wine does! On the tongue it evaporates so you get a nose hit of flavor along with the tangy sweetness on the tongue. There is an umami quality to this vinegar. It is very satisfying on the tongue. Almost a molasses like quality. You can actually pour this over fruit and call it dessert! It's lovely on hot grilled vegetables. Traditionally this vinegar is made in a series of barrels! It starts in a great big barrel and every year, as it ages and evaporates, its poured into a smaller barrel. I suspected my cheap balsamic was probably helped to evaporate a little more quickly than some of the old $100 a bottle vinegars.



White wine vinegar. I don't know why I love this stuff so much! It's very, very similar to the red wine vinegar. Shocking! Who would of thunk it?

Oh dear! I just sniffle sneezed with a mouthful of vinegar and it splashed up into my nose a little. Gag, cough, gag, eek, uck, ACK! THE BURNING! THE PAIN!

The things I do for you . . .

What? You didn't ask me to drink vinegar for you? You want new ways to cook boneless skinless chicken breasts? Vinegar is very good on boneless skinless chicken breasts!

Okay, I'll soldier on.

I use the white wine vinegar in French potato salad. It's also good for when you want a flavorful vinegar that is relatively colorless. It does taste a little of wine.



Now this stuff is delicious! It's seasoned rice wine vinegar. Its full of salt and sugar and vinegar. Seriously, it's like Chinese ketchup! This is one of the gentlest vinegars, in that it has the acidity reduced from your standard 5% to 4%. You shake it on at the table. Tasty on greens and deep fried foods! Good base for a sweet and sour sauce.


This stuff is weird! I got it for some sort of chicken recipe if I remember right. It is another seasoned vinegar. It really tastes like vinegar mixed with soy sauce. I wouldn't use it in a salad dressing but I would use it in a sauce or marinade. It needs heat!

Here's the thing about vinegar. It's a flavor enhancer just like wine! Maybe you don't really care for drinking dry white wine but you have a recipe that calls for it. I have successfully substituted watered down vinegar for wine in soups and sauces. If a recipe calls for a 1/4 cup of wine try substituting 1-2 tsp of vinegar and a little water for it.

If you have a soup or sauce that is sort of flat put a drop of vinegar in it to see if it wakes it up a little.

Mom's Vinaigrette

1 small palmful of grated onion
a sprinkle of garlic powder
a sprinkle of salt
a sprinkle of black pepper
1 capful of cider vinegar
1 capful of vegetable oil
1 handful of water

Fill a green Tupperware lettuce keeper bowl full of iceberg lettuce. Grate or mince a small palm full of onion and sprinkle it on top. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Add a cap of cider vinegar. Add a cap of vegetable oil. Fill your hand with water from the sink and quickly pour it over the salad. Toss.

1 comment:

  1. You make me laugh. This post was hazardous to your health. Be CAREFUL! :)

    ReplyDelete