Monday, April 4, 2011

Simple Curried Chicken Breast



Do you love chicken breast? I sort of do. I love that you can give it tons of flavor! I don't like it overcooked though and I don't like it undercooked either!

They've had the bone-in, skin on chicken breast on sale a lot lately and it makes my husband think I'm feeding him light and healthy things so it's a win-win situation.



Here they are! Now I like to soak mine in a brine first. A quart of water with 1/4 cup of table salt dissolved in it is fine. An hour or hour and a half will thoroughly saturate your chicken and make it take the heat better.  You don't HAVE to do this though its not like we have fatty thighs that we're trying to cook in the same heat at the same time. I think it gives it a flavor boost and I can cook it extra long without it drying out. If you do choose to brine it rinse it off before you do anything else.


I went digging in the fridge looking for some plain yogurt but had none. But I found this rich flavorful acidic dairy product! It'll do! Chicken and dairy are meant for each other.



I poured some in a cereal bowl.



Now be warned! Sweet curry powder isn't actually sweet. It's just not spicy you see. Well it's actually full of lovely rich deeply flavored bitter spices but they're not of the cayenne variety. Or at least there's very little of it. See it's like the last ingredient in this spice mix. Tones makes my favorite "sweet" curry powder. I had this in the cabinet though.


Dump some in.



I'm OUT of garlic powder! What is wrong with me? So I had these little pre-peeled cloves in the fridge. I went ahead and minced them up and put them in. You've got to have garlic in your curried chicken! It's more important than the curry powder practically! Heck leave the curry powder out if you want.



If you didn't brine your chicken you're going to want to add some salt.



Since, I usually use a higher fat dairy product in my coating I decided to throw a tablespoon of olive oil in. I had plans to leave my chicken sitting in this stuff during soccer practice so I didn't want things to get dry.



Coat your chicken with the sauce/marinade/rub I don't know what to call it! I even picked them up and did the bottoms. You can see I put these on a rack.

The nice thing about bone-in chicken breast is that it really has its own rack that holds it up off the pan.


Now throw them in the fridge until guitar lessons and soccer practice are over.

Sorry about the photograph quality. It's the kids. They came home. They've been compared to the Mongol Horde. Yes, it was their grandmother that made this comparison. Needless to say, it's a little frightening and can make anybody jumpy.
Bake them in a 400 deg F oven for 30-40 minutes. This is homework time! Or bath time or whatever else you have going on. Check your chicken after 20 minutes. If its getting too brown or if you have smoke turn the heat down to 350. (Not all ovens or chicken breasts are created equal!)



Mmmmm! I love curry. The turmeric, garlic, ginger, cumin, fennel, cloves, paprika, all mingle together in harmony. Did you know that turmeric is one of the latest health crazes? Its supposed to do good things to all your parts. I'm fond of what it does to chicken parts!

Now back when I had babies we'd peel off the curried part and chop up the chicken in the middle for them.

These are great on the grill but I'd highly recommend doing the brine in that case!

Curried Chicken Breast

3-4 bone-in, skin on, chicken breasts
1/2 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
2 Tbsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1 Tbsp freshly minced garlic
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil

Mix buttermilk, curry, garlic, salt and oil together. Heat oven to 400 deg F. Brush marinade on chicken and bake for 30-40 minutes.

***If you wish to brine the chicken-->Mix 1/4 cup table salt with one quart of water and soak chicken in solution for 60-90 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment